Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More About Me


My friend, Laura Beth, pointed me to this article. I'll never look like June Cleaver, but I definitely do many of the traditionally feminine chores in my house. Like this author, I actually don't mind doing most of the laundry, cooking, and cleaning. I also do watering and some weeding, though my hubby does things like edging (well, he's done this once. Yesterday, in fact) and mowing (I'm allergic to grass!). I'll willingly admit that sometimes I actually enjoy gender roles, like when it's snowed 20 inches and it's -20 below here in Minnesota. Then I really love gender roles. And yes, I do feel guilty about liking it sometimes.

So, I'm actually okay with the chores I do (for the most part). My husband shares them with me as equally as possible for someone in residency.

It's the kin work that puts me over the edge! Which makes sense, I suppose, because it's women's third shift.





3 comments:

  1. Don't you think they are societal gender roles, though? There's no reason why I should have to vacuum because I once had a uterus. It was also not a homing device, therefore, I am not the only one who should know where things are in our home! I love to quote Roseanne Barr in saying, "I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on."

    I also like these (& posted them on BBC before):

    "My theory on housework is, if the item doesn't multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you?" ~Erma Bombeck

    "The obvious and fair solution to the housework problem is to let men do the housework for, say, the next six thousand years, to even things up. The trouble is that men, over the years, have developed an inflated notion of the importance of everything they do, so that before long they would turn housework into just as much of a charade as business is now. They would hire secretaries and buy computers and fly off to housework conferences in Bermuda, but they'd never clean anything." ~Dave Barry

    P.S. I replied to Ms. Monogamy's post ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! Team Dawmilam also has a fairly strict division of labor policy that works just fine for us. I realize not everyone can be so lucky, but still... at the end of the day, someone's gotta feed you and someone's gotta do the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a girl in a generation of boys, I think I always assumed it was my job and my responsibility to do all of the kin work myself. Even though the boys are great at division of labor, they think a Facebook "Happy Birthday" is enough (and for most in our family, it is!) but if *I* did that... man, would the tongues wag and would I be in trouble!!!

    ReplyDelete